hi hi
a cat
2023-06-18 04:02:11 UTC
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)

So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
songbird
2023-06-18 10:32:52 UTC
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
welcome, :)

it is based upon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callahan%27s_Crosstime_Saloon

but somewhat quiet these days.

i'm a member of the peanut gallery. *throws peanuts*

do you like to tell stories?

songbird
Laurens Kils-Huetten
2023-06-18 11:03:49 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
[...]
Post by songbird
i'm a member of the peanut gallery. *throws peanuts*
do you like to tell stories?
*something moves in a dark corner of the bar ...*

I don't feel I'm ready yet to tell my story and throw my
glass into the fire place.

But hey, I'm here, as well.

*throws a single peanut*

~lkh
a cat
2023-06-18 15:46:31 UTC
Post by Laurens Kils-Huetten
Post by songbird
i'm a member of the peanut gallery. *throws peanuts*
do you like to tell stories?
*something moves in a dark corner of the bar ...*
I don't feel I'm ready yet to tell my story and throw my
glass into the fire place.
But hey, I'm here, as well.
*throws a single peanut*
~lkh
(The peanut hits a cat in the cheek. She turns, curious of its source.)

Oh, it's you. Wait, do I know you? No. No that's someone else. Well
hello, hi.

(a cat returns to the conversation)
Summer Storms
I was in the Usenet group in the early 2000s and it was not as busy even then, but it was kind of fun. I'm working on the resurrection of the callahans.org website and got to wondering if a modern-day incarnation of the old group (outside of Facebook, where I admin) was still around. Lo and behold, here we are.
D.J.
2023-08-13 21:26:37 UTC
On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:52:16 -0700 (PDT), Summer Storms
Post by Summer Storms
I was in the Usenet group in the early 2000s and it was not as busy even then, but it was kind of fun. I'm working on the resurrection of the callahans.org website and got to wondering if a modern-day incarnation of the old group (outside of Facebook, where I admin) was still around. Lo and behold, here we are.
Yes, just a few left here.
Jim
songbird
2023-08-14 03:31:19 UTC
Post by Summer Storms
I was in the Usenet group in the early 2000s and it was not as busy even then, but it was kind of fun. I'm working on the resurrection of the callahans.org website and got to wondering if a modern-day incarnation of the old group (outside of Facebook, where I admin) was still around. Lo and behold, here we are.
Yes, just a few left here.
*chirp*

songbird

a cat
2023-06-18 15:43:23 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
welcome, :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callahan%27s_Crosstime_Saloon
but somewhat quiet these days.
i'm a member of the peanut gallery. *throws peanuts*
do you like to tell stories?
songbird
Ooh that's awesome! Maybe I'm one of these strange visitors, shown up as
an echo of times past (but maybe a presage of a possible future).

I LOVE to tell stories. But it's a problem. I love it so much that I
want to make a living from it, so I don't usually tell them for free.

But that's not very community minded is it?

What types of stories do we tell? Fair warning: all of mine are sad.
cr0c0d1le
I'm new here too!
D.J.
2023-06-18 15:32:54 UTC
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Howdy, yes, these days very quiet. Back in the 1990s there were about
400 posts per day, now about 20 posts per year.

We had birthday parties, ghost stories at Halloween, and an amusement
park on the moon, and out the back door.

No much going on here these days,
Jim
a cat
2023-06-18 15:48:12 UTC
Post by D.J.
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Howdy, yes, these days very quiet. Back in the 1990s there were about
400 posts per day, now about 20 posts per year.
We had birthday parties, ghost stories at Halloween, and an amusement
park on the moon, and out the back door.
Well that sounds lovely.
I heard a stranger's about. Things change, and Halloween comes again :)
songbird
2023-06-19 01:25:39 UTC
D.J wrote:
Post by D.J.
Howdy, yes, these days very quiet. Back in the 1990s there were about
400 posts per day, now about 20 posts per year.
We had birthday parties, ghost stories at Halloween, and an amusement
park on the moon, and out the back door.
No much going on here these days,
there was a golden age when people would throw parties
or gatherings and have fun. :) it happened that i had
a break after college and working for a while that i
could go off and see the country and visit friends.

then came the precursors to FB and then FB itself.
most people i knew from on-line went to those but i
didn't. i've always liked the text version the best.

songbird
a cat
2023-06-19 15:33:13 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by D.J.
Howdy, yes, these days very quiet. Back in the 1990s there were about
400 posts per day, now about 20 posts per year.
We had birthday parties, ghost stories at Halloween, and an amusement
park on the moon, and out the back door.
No much going on here these days,
there was a golden age when people would throw parties
or gatherings and have fun. :) it happened that i had
a break after college and working for a while that i
could go off and see the country and visit friends.
then came the precursors to FB and then FB itself.
most people i knew from on-line went to those but i
didn't. i've always liked the text version the best.
songbird
And now young people won't use Facebook, and Twitter and Reddit are
self-destructing.

Usenet may still have some utility yet, with a little care and feeding.
Kate
2023-06-18 17:40:46 UTC
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Welcome!

We talk about this and that. There are puns and poems, and general posts about life.. There's a stand-up philosopher in the corner over there, but not many people pay attention.

May I buy you a beverage? It's a welcoming tradition, not a pickup line.

Kate
a cat
2023-06-18 18:14:34 UTC
Post by Kate
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Welcome!
We talk about this and that. There are puns and poems, and general posts about life.. There's a stand-up philosopher in the corner over there, but not many people pay attention.
May I buy you a beverage? It's a welcoming tradition, not a pickup line.
Kate
That would be very welcome, thank you!

I've read the bartender is a universal bartender. I don't suppose he
could make a hot cup of nostalgia with a bit of joy blended in? And if
he could sprinkle a bit of enuii and chocolate on top, well. That'd be
great.

What's the philosopher's lot in life?
songbird
2023-06-19 01:20:57 UTC
a cat wrote:
Post by a cat
What's the philosopher's lot in life?
one which is chosen or perhaps not? go not to a
philosopher with a question because they may answer
with more questions... :)

songbird
Tim Merrigan
2023-06-19 02:44:52 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by a cat
What's the philosopher's lot in life?
one which is chosen or perhaps not? go not to a
philosopher with a question because they may answer
with more questions... :)
songbird
May?
--
Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan
www.avg.com
a cat
2023-06-19 15:34:30 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by a cat
What's the philosopher's lot in life?
one which is chosen or perhaps not? go not to a
philosopher with a question because they may answer
with more questions... :)
songbird
Questions bring conversation! And thought. And fun :)

What do they philosophize about?
Tim Merrigan
2023-06-19 18:19:45 UTC
Post by a cat
Post by songbird
Post by a cat
What's the philosopher's lot in life?
one which is chosen or perhaps not? go not to a
philosopher with a question because they may answer
with more questions... :)
songbird
Questions bring conversation! And thought. And fun :)
What do they philosophize about?
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—Of cabbages—and kings—

www.avg.com
Kate
2023-06-19 19:38:27 UTC
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—Of cabbages—and kings—
and why the sea is boiling hot
and whether pigs have wings

KK
a cat
How very curious...
Tim Merrigan
2023-06-18 19:25:14 UTC
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Hi. Welcome, to Usenet, and to The Place. Let me buy you a BOYC
(Beverage of your Choice). (Tosses a goldie (Golden U.S.D.) in the
cigar box.)

That's a phrase one doesn't see often, "I'm new to Usenet" any more.

As to what we talk about, there aren't a lot of limitations, though
it's often SF Fandom, and specifically Spider Robinson fandom related.

www.avg.com
a cat
2023-06-19 15:36:04 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Hi. Welcome, to Usenet, and to The Place. Let me buy you a BOYC
(Beverage of your Choice). (Tosses a goldie (Golden U.S.D.) in the
cigar box.)
Thank you! I've ordered something, but the universal bartender appears
to be spaced out.
Post by Tim Merrigan
That's a phrase one doesn't see often, "I'm new to Usenet" any more.
There are a few new people poking around, exploring the old haunts.
D.J.
2023-06-19 21:13:03 UTC
Post by a cat
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by a cat
I'm new to Usenet (gasp!) and I happened upon a message that said this
was a good place to hang out :)
So... what's this place like? It looks like there's regulars? What do
you all talk about?
Hi. Welcome, to Usenet, and to The Place. Let me buy you a BOYC
(Beverage of your Choice). (Tosses a goldie (Golden U.S.D.) in the
cigar box.)
Thank you! I've ordered something, but the universal bartender appears
to be spaced out.
Mostly, you have to provide the bartender's bit yourself. Or just
imply it.
--
Jim