Hope all US Patrons are safe...
Alan Ralph
2024-01-14 15:32:59 UTC
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.

Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.

—Spiffy the big blue alien.
songbird
2024-01-16 13:32:43 UTC
Post by Alan Ralph
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.
Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.
—Spiffy the big blue alien.
thanks, we weathered the storm ok, no power for a day
and then again it went out for a few hours but that was
not as long.

i took my time shovelling snow breaking down the task
into four sessions spread over three days. an hour of
good exercise each day and some fresh air. :)

i like our four seasons, but you do have to be ready
for whatever the weather will bring you. we have heat
and put up extra water for when the well pump can't
give us fresh water.

we camped (as we call it) using the propane fake fire-
place for heat and having warm food and drinks. it's
not very efficient but it works.

it will be cold for the next week and then warm up a
bit to give us a break. what we don't see much of at
all this time of year is sunshine. sometimes for weeks
at a stretch. this year it's been about a month so far
and maybe about 10 minutes total of full sunlight. with
the snow any sun that does come out is going to be very
bright. we call it the UFO... :)

songbird
D.J.
2024-01-16 15:38:41 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:32:59 +0000, Alan Ralph
Post by Alan Ralph
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.
Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.
—Spiffy the big blue alien.
Safe so far. My area will get down to below 20F for 3 mornings this
coming week. Possible snow/sleet. The date for this varies. Now,
Sunday into Tuesday.
The US plains, Oklahoma and north, have blizzard conditions, and feet
of snow. Wether channel has shown several videos of this.
It was 26F this morning in my area.
No snow in my area, it got down to 17F and will get up to 28F today. I
don't see any ice on the road in front of the house. Most places are
closed. I'm staying home.
Jim
Barry Gold
2024-01-17 15:52:36 UTC
Post by Alan Ralph
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.
Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.
—Spiffy the big blue alien.
Here in Los Angeles we're hoping to get a little rain. We've had very
little since September - 0.03" two nights ago and nothing else.

And then we'll probably get a 2" storm and all the people who live in
the canyons will have to evacuate, and some will see their homes float
down the mountain. I live on the flatlands so it won't affect me, but it
will be hard on the people in the hills.
I do so have a memory. It's backed up on DVD... somewhere...
Mike Spencer
2024-02-07 05:41:30 UTC
Nearly 4 feet of snow in parts of Nova Scotia, 16" where I am. Spider
is well out of it in BC.
Post by Barry Gold
Here in Los Angeles we're hoping to get a little rain. We've had very
little since September - 0.03" two nights ago and nothing else.
And then we'll probably get a 2" storm and all the people who live in
the canyons will have to evacuate, and some will see their homes float
down the mountain. I live on the flatlands so it won't affect me, but it
will be hard on the people in the hills.
Somewhere I have a photo of my mother's older sister's stationary
store in Van Nuys with the front door walled up 4 deep with sand bags
and the street under water. Back before the river channel was
engineered into what it is today, late 1920s maybe?
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
D.J.
2024-02-09 23:40:15 UTC
Post by Alan Ralph
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.
Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.
—Spiffy the big blue alien.
Weather has warmed up. 50s F to 60s F in the day time.
Jim
songbird
2024-02-10 12:23:31 UTC
Post by Alan Ralph
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.
Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.
—Spiffy the big blue alien.
Weather has warmed up. 50s F to 60s F in the day time.
i've seen a mosquito in the house last week and one outside
on the window yesterday. for mid-Michigan this time of the
year that's not normal at all.

rumors have it that some spring flowers are showing up
already, but out here in the country it is usually a bit
later than those in the cities. i'll have to wander
around the yard and see if anything really is out yet.
the earliest i've ever seen the strawberries bloom is
March 11th when then normally would bloom in May. i am
hoping that the colder weather returns and everything can
remain in hibernation until a proper time.

songbird
D.J.
2024-02-10 16:07:35 UTC
Post by Alan Ralph
I know storms have been hitting various States over the last week or so.
Here in the UK we've had some storms too, and next week freezing
temperatures are forecast.
—Spiffy the big blue alien.
Weather has warmed up. 50s F to 60s F in the day time.
i've seen a mosquito in the house last week and one outside
on the window yesterday. for mid-Michigan this time of the
year that's not normal at all.
rumors have it that some spring flowers are showing up
already, but out here in the country it is usually a bit
later than those in the cities. i'll have to wander
around the yard and see if anything really is out yet.
the earliest i've ever seen the strawberries bloom is
March 11th when then normally would bloom in May. i am
hoping that the colder weather returns and everything can
remain in hibernation until a proper time.
I haven't seen any mosquitoes yet, but I don't spend much time outside
around sunrise and sunset.

We are getting periods of rain down here, but some areas are still
lower than usual rain, some are much higher.
--
Jim