Plaque: Hilda E. (my aunt Edyie)
Cindy Wells
2023-09-02 21:56:37 UTC
My father's youngest sister passed away yesterday morning. She was born
when Dad was ~15. She dropped out of high school then got her GED. Later
she got her degree in nursing while her daughter was young. She had
retired before COVID for health reasons.

She will be missed. Unfortunately, I will never forget what I learned
about poor educators from her story. In the 1970s, she wanted to be a
veterinarian but was told "Girl's can't do that." What she needed to
hear was "You need to work on your math skills. Do you want help finding
a tutor?" Mom became that math tutor when I was in Middle School/Junior
High.

Cindy Wells
(Edyie got married several times so I won't detail any last names.)
Kate
2023-09-03 19:33:59 UTC
Post by Cindy Wells
My father's youngest sister passed away yesterday morning. She was born
when Dad was ~15. She dropped out of high school then got her GED. Later
she got her degree in nursing while her daughter was young. She had
retired before COVID for health reasons.
She will be missed. Unfortunately, I will never forget what I learned
about poor educators from her story. In the 1970s, she wanted to be a
veterinarian but was told "Girl's can't do that." What she needed to
hear was "You need to work on your math skills. Do you want help finding
a tutor?" Mom became that math tutor when I was in Middle School/Junior
High.
Cindy Wells
(Edyie got married several times so I won't detail any last names.)
May her memory be a blessing.

Kate
Cindy Wells
2023-09-03 21:22:43 UTC
Post by Kate
Post by Cindy Wells
My father's youngest sister passed away yesterday morning.
May her memory be a blessing.
Kate
Thank you.

Cindy Wells
D.J.
2023-09-03 20:05:57 UTC
On Sat, 2 Sep 2023 16:56:37 -0500, Cindy Wells
Post by Cindy Wells
My father's youngest sister passed away yesterday morning. She was born
when Dad was ~15. She dropped out of high school then got her GED. Later
she got her degree in nursing while her daughter was young. She had
retired before COVID for health reasons.
My condolences.

D.J. tosses his drink into the fireplace.
Jim
Cindy Wells

Cindy Wells
songbird
2023-09-04 11:17:47 UTC
Cindy Wells wrote:
Post by Cindy Wells
She will be missed. Unfortunately, I will never forget what I learned
about poor educators from her story. In the 1970s, she wanted to be a
veterinarian but was told "Girl's can't do that." What she needed to
hear was "You need to work on your math skills. Do you want help finding
a tutor?" Mom became that math tutor when I was in Middle School/Junior
High.
sometimes we have to work through the mistakes of
others. my own path in math was troubled by not knowing
certain things until later. it would have saved me quite
a bit to have known otherwise. pre-calculus? what is
that? i never had that class... oops.

i'm glad she could find the help she needed. :)

did you spend a lot of time with her?

*sips from a thimble and flicks it into the fireplace*

songbird
Cindy Wells
2023-09-04 20:34:13 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by Cindy Wells
She will be missed. Unfortunately, I will never forget what I learned
about poor educators from her story. In the 1970s, she wanted to be a
veterinarian but was told "Girl's can't do that." What she needed to
hear was "You need to work on your math skills. Do you want help finding
a tutor?" Mom became that math tutor when I was in Middle School/Junior
High.
sometimes we have to work through the mistakes of
others. my own path in math was troubled by not knowing
certain things until later. it would have saved me quite
a bit to have known otherwise. pre-calculus? what is
that? i never had that class... oops.
i'm glad she could find the help she needed. :)
did you spend a lot of time with her?
*sips from a thimble and flicks it into the fireplace*
songbird
If you remember Sailor Jim and his requests for alternate ways to teach
the math his wife was trying to learn, that was where my aunt was. It
was more Pre-algebra than Pre-calculus.

I didn't spend a huge amount of time with her that I can remember. I do
remember that before she moved to her own place, both of my aunts got my
sister and I chocolate when Grandma went grocery shopping. My sister
actually saw her more often when playing the "fun adult aunt" for her
first child. My sister was the adult on site for the teen girls'
sleep-over. Except for a few years, we lived in different states and
visited at Christmas. My sister ended up working for a few years at a
company close to where my aunt lived.

Cindy Wells
(I did grab a few of her childhood toys on one of my visits. Aunt Edyie
had planned a yard sale to shrink what she'd take to her new apartment
while I was visiting Grandma. A ten year age difference meant my summer
visits hit her job schedule, among other things.)
a cat
My condolences, Cindy.
Cindy Wells